Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Bittersweet

We woke up this morning thinking today was the day and today became the day...sort of. We saw our baby girls for the first time and got to hold and cuddle and snuggle and coo and kiss and everything else, but it seems that the suspense hasn't ended. Our ceremony wasn't today. We are hopeful for tomorrow. While being a very disappointing day from not reaching a conclusion, we did get to finally meet our two girls. And, they were everything we wanted and MORE!

The orphanage is situated about 2.5 hours outside of Hanoi in an agricultural community. When we arrived, the front of the orphanage was a "smoke salon" where people can come and get their hair washed/cut, smoke cigs, and get coffee. The orphanage is for disabled people as well. The front was ran by deaf girls. It was great fun for me to sign mine and Wit's name to them and meet them through signing. They very much enjoyed feeling a part of "our" world. In the rear is a dorm room sized building that contained 20-25 babies all <6 months old. It was both a wonderful sight and a sad sight, which left us fixed with many different emotions. The caretakers truly loved each child. They were wonderfully loving and provided the best care they can for all the babies. It was HOT. Let me say that again. It was HOT in the room. Luckily, the babies weren't bundled up, but in tees and pants, no socks and no hats. They were sweating. The caretakers were fanning away to keep them cool, flies away and beetles the size of my fist fell from the ceiling!!

Being at the orphanage brought a HUGE mix of emotions. We were terribly thrilled, but also saddened given that these babies were in need. It was way too quiet to be among 25 babies, there were no cries for 1.5 hours. The caretakers were 4 of the most caring, loving women I could have ever hoped for. At one point, she asked for Quynh back because she was hating to see her taken away from her. This made me happy. I totally respect her feelings and am very thankful for them. Our babies were well cared for.

We are hopeful for tomorrow. Not worried about it happening, just wondering when it will finally happen!

I am posting some pics in the Photo Album soon. Click on the link on the right hand side. It is password protected. If I haven't given you the password, give me a shout and I will send it, just don't want to share with the "entire" world.

More soon. B&W

11 comments:

K & J said...

I'm so happy you were finally able to meet your girls! It would figure that there was no G&R to cap off such a great day. I think it must be standard practice in Phu Tho to delay G&R's. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day!

Kristen

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you both and the girls. I am keeping you all in my thoughts and am waiting to hear the final good news that you get to take the girls home!

Miss you guys lots~

Mai

Mama Jim said...

Oh my gosh, what an exciting, emotional and loving post. Audrey and Quynh are beautiful and we can't wait to see them...all this said many times over and over again; they are two very lucky little girls. Keeping our fingers crossed for a quick and timely ceremony. Our love to all of you and will await out next update, mom & dad (aka mama jim & papa jim)

Mrs.B said...

What a wonderful post. Congratulations on finally meeting your girls. Let's hope you get your G&R tomorrow.

Brooke's Blog- "The Life of a Dreamer" said...

Yea!!! I am so excited you finally got to meet the twins!! They are adorable! Can't wait till you all get back to the states!!

Love ya Bunches,

Kayla Blaine(ha)(Brooke)

stollmyheart said...

I'm so excited you got to meet the girls...FINALLY! I hope the G&R is soon! Can't wait to see the pics!

stollmyheart said...

Ok, I just looked at the pics! SO CUTE! I'm so excited for you...you look so happy and the kiddos look wonderful! I can't wait until it's all official!!!

jenn said...

Hang in there and lets all hope for a ceremony SOON!

Anonymous said...

The girls are so cute. Thanks for posting such a great update and for sharing your pictures. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy G&R.

Mrs.B said...

Wit and Brandi
Your babies are beautiful! I am so very happy for the both of you.

Anonymous said...

Brandi and Wit,

You're in the home stretch! Congratulations! I know exactly the range of emotions you're feeling while visiting the orphanage. It was the most conflicted set of emotions we'd ever had too--happiness at finally getting to hold your sweet baby, sadness and empathy and gratitude for the caretakers (who try their best but fight a losing battle every day against orphanage conditions, poverty, and the sheer number of infants vs. adults), and the feeling that you'd adopt every single baby if you had but the time and money. I am so happy that your journey to your girls is finally completed, and wish you the happiest of times learning about each other. In China adoptions we speak of the red thread that connects us each to our destinies, and connects us to our soon-to-be-adopted babies. I'm so happy for you all, and that your red thread has finally led you to your girls. I'd love to see your pictures if you get a chance to send your password, to bobbiesoxx@aol.com

Luci Risinger Chambers
Mom to Hannah Tharon Wen age 5 (Xi Rui Wen, adopted age 10 months on 1/13/2003 Kunming, Yunnan Province, Peoples Republic of China) and Emma Jewel age 2 born 10/09/2004